A Little Ray of Sunshine

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Sprouts

About a week and a half ago I was feeling kind of down. It was overcast and generally January in Idaho-ish. So, I did what I usually do around this time of year: I planted seeds. It's too soon still for starting my tomatoes and peppers, so I planted coleus and heliochrysum. I've had the package of coleus for a couple years, the heliochrysum for maybe four or five. Well, two days ago the coleus began sprouting, and every day since there have been more sprouts. The heliochrysum has a longer germination period, and the seeds may well be too old anyway.
This was by way of being an experiment. I read somewhere, once, that you could grow seeds in damp paper towel, so I thought I'd give it a try. It's worked really well. I put the paper towel in the bottom of a shallow tupperware-type tray, dampened it, sprinkled the seeds on top (I chose those which say not to bury them when planting), and covered the whole thing with plastic wrap and put it in a southern window. Now I have a bunch of little seedlings. I'll have to see how they do. They aren't ready for pots, yet. I wonder which ones I should use, and, yeah, which box did we put the potting soil in, anyway? Did we even pack it? You'd think after six months we'd have unpacked, wouldn't you?

3 Comments:

  • At 8:15 PM, February 02, 2005, Blogger JACIII said…

    Hi BoysMom!

    Am I the first comment? WHooHoo! Gotta tell Nate! I'm the Alpha commenter!

    Let me get this straight. You moved dirt?

    -

     
  • At 9:11 PM, February 02, 2005, Blogger BoysMom said…

    Yes, you're the first, JAC. Course, unless Nate's been looking at your blog tonight he wouldn't have a link. Still, I guess brothers take any excuse to gloat!
    As far as packing dirt, I don't know if we did or not. Hemi was three months old. Beau was about three months shy of two. We had half a dozen friends helping us pack. It was mass insanity. I have found some of the darndest things boxed up. If I had packed the plant stuff, I know I wouldn't have . . . but someone else did that. Someone also packed the stuff on Beau's high chair tray, including the directions to our hotel at the half way point, and some not-too-fresh cheerios he'd left there that morning.

     
  • At 4:36 PM, February 03, 2005, Blogger JACIII said…

    At least they were thorough!
    -

     

Post a Comment

<< Home