A Little Ray of Sunshine

Thursday, September 15, 2005

The stupidity in aid.

Sitting at breakfast with my husband, talking about what we're doing this weekend. He is planning to finish up the access door for the underside of the house and transplant some forsithias. I said "I hope I can get some more produce at the Farmers' Market to can."
Husband: "How come all your aid workers never teach us how to do that?"
Me: "What?"
Husband: "All those peace corps people and NGOs, how come they don't teach us in the third world how to can food? If people knew how to preserve food, we wouldn't have so many famines."

Well, we talked it over. It likely boils down to money. There's no money in actually fixing problems.
I don't care if it's February, the next time my mother-in-law comes to visit I'm going to teach her how to can. It's easy. I'll email my cousins-in-law overseas and see if they're interested. If you can read the instructions and you can provide a steady heat-source to keep water at boiling, you can do this.

This just makes my blood boil.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home