A Little Ray of Sunshine

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Getting ready

I have three very dear female friends. Two of the three decided that this was the summer to get married. Of course they don't live anywhere remotely near us.
We have a trip to Los Angeles in early June. Sunday, my friend called. Would I please play for her wedding? (This is less than two weeks before the wedding.) Of course I would. That's what I do, anyway, and for her, I'll do it with less than two weeks notice. (This does not apply to paying customers, of course. Well, it might, but the rates would go up.)
So, since there's a piano available at the chapel she's getting married in, I ask Mom if she'd like to accompany me. "I couldn't possibly. I'll cry. Where's the music?" Mom says. Yesterday we practiced. But I don't have a 'cello/piano copy of the Mendelssohn wedding march. The C, B, F sharp, A, G, F, D, one. So I'm arranging it off the organ copy that I do have. There's one other little detail: Mom is leaving town Friday to visit her parents in the assisted living center. She'll be back Monday. So we're just a little shorter on practice time.
My friend, less than two weeks before the wedding, hasn't planned her ceremony yet. To be fair, she teaches elementary school and with her commute is gone twelve hours a day. And she just finished her Masters Degree this spring. This is what friends are for. She's going to get calls from me daily, until she's got the thing (at least the parts that involved music) settled. On the bright side, they did find an apartment (in LA) that they can afford. I watch reports that the housing bubble in LA is bursting with pleasure: I'd love for them to be able to buy a place. Since they both love the city (which I can't understand) then I might as well hope for them to find a good place for not-too-much.
The garden is in, but we had to cover it last night because it was supposed to freeze. Whether or not it actually did at our place, the plants seem fine today. My husband and Dad went fishing yesterday, the season on the creek in my parents' back yard opened Saturday but it poured rain Saturday and Sunday. Yesterday was only mixed showers and sun. They each caught one trout. The creek is very muddy, in flood, so the fishing was not very good. The fish are probably all busy getting fat on earthworms from collapsing banks upstreem.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:03 AM, June 02, 2006, Blogger Jo said…

    Two weeks! You are a good friend. :)
    I agree with you - I don't understand wanting to live in LA. When my hubby and I traveled through CA that was my least favorite spot. I was so very glad to get past it!

     
  • At 10:55 AM, August 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i think this is boring cuz there is nothing 2 do but read my eyes r turning square .

     

Post a Comment

<< Home