A Little Ray of Sunshine

Monday, October 23, 2006

I'm Back!

To some extent. The local phone company claims they provide DSL here, well, they gave us the modem but don't actually provide service (no cables)! And they don't have a local access number, either. So I've got 28K dial-up at home for now and the forseeable future. My husband is looking into satilite internet.
I've also got an adorable new baby boy, 9 lbs 6 oz, big brown eyes and a head of black hair, just like his big brothers.
My husband's first day of work was the twelvth, 2 hours into the work day I was calling every number I could find for his employers trying to reach him. Someone found him and sent him home for me. The baby was born a couple hours later. I got to ride to the hospital in an ambulence, a big deal for the two big boys--especially since they have an invitation from the EMTs to come tour the ambulence sometime. (The hospital being about an hour-and-a-half away by normal within-speed-limits transportation, this turned out to be a good thing.)
For now I'll call the little guy "Hummer", since he spent the first night (and nearly constantly since) humming. Beau and Hemi think their little brother is great, and we've been working on teaching Beau how to pick him up properly. He's a pretty easy-going baby, and we're wondering how much of that is his nature and how much is that we're experienced baby-handlers. He's a very still sleeper, so some is certainly nature, which surprises me because he was so active before he was born.
As near as we can tell, everyone in town now knows who we are and everything about Hummer's birth. The local communication network is much faster than the internet out here, that's for sure!
We've had a couple invitations to attend local churches, but for the forseeable future (next week and the weekend after) we've got to spend our weekends clearing out the old place. At least the boys are getting to church with Nana this way.
We didn't have our minivan last week, it was back to the transmission shop for warrenty work. Now we've got it back, and we're just crossing our fingers that it'll keep running. We can't fit a booster, two car seats, and two adults into the buick century and have everyone in seatbelts. It just won't happen. (Well, if my hips were half the size they are, it might . . .) It ought to be good for a while, if they got all the bugs out.
We have a house--a double-wide mobile--from my husband's employer, through the end of June. We have to find another place to live by then.
The phone cuts out when it pleases. So does the electricity. I think it's time for some serious research on solar panals. There are lakes and rivers all over the place, my husband is just dying to go fishing. Beau and Hemi like the antelope--we must have seen a thousand, and pretty up-close, too. And there are some game trails through our back yard, and plenty of elk and deer/antelope poop to go with them. (Any hints on how to tell the difference, if there is one?)
It's snowed a couple times, but not stuck yet, much to Beau's dismay. He wants to throw snowballs at Hemi.
I didn't get a lot of our produce from the garden preserved, but my husband took a bunch into work, and it seemed to be pretty popular, so at least it didn't go to waste. I'm told to expect between sixty-five and twenty-eight consecutive frost-free days here, hence not much chance for outdoor tomatos. The potted tomatos are just chilling out in the window, but the cayenne peppers are blooming and setting fruit. So we'll see just how good I can get at container gardening, I guess! It's cold and constantly windy, but it sure is pretty here. I've got great views out all the windows, which makes up for the wind. Someone erected a snow fence beside our driveway. I'm sure we'll appreciate that greatly in the next month or so.
So that's what we're up to--half moved, a new job, and a new baby. I've got the pantry contents--maybe 6 months worth of food--that we brought up this last weekend to put away now. Maybe next week we can get the dishes!

6 Comments:

  • At 5:08 PM, October 23, 2006, Blogger Jo said…

    Congratulations on little Hummer! What a BIG little guy. Sounds like he made a fast appearance. :)
    After all the craziness of the move and birth, I hope things settle down for you. Welcome back to blogging!

     
  • At 10:20 PM, October 23, 2006, Blogger Res Ipsa said…

    Congrats on making the move and on the new baby.

     
  • At 5:14 AM, October 24, 2006, Blogger Serena said…

    Congratulations! Give that little baby a kiss for me. I just spent about 3 days getting to love on Arielle's new little guy. He is such an easy little baby and it was wonderful to get to hold one so young again.
    You have my sympathies on the moving. We are pretty much settled from our move now, but I still have some things I want to get done to really feel settled such as make some valances for the living area windows and other touches like that.
    If you talk to the people who garden in the area, you will find out what works and what you can do to grow the warmer climate stuff. You should do great with all the cooler climate stuff and hopefully your family likes cabbage!
    Love and shalom,
    Serena

     
  • At 7:07 PM, October 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations! Give your new little one a kiss for me too. =) He sounds like a cutie! Hope things are settling down for you a bit!

     
  • At 9:56 AM, October 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Satellite costs about a $1000.00 to set up and about $59.99 per month.

    Remember to spray your dish surface with PAM about once every three months to prevent loss of service during rain.

    Did you know it is actually rain on the dish surface and not rain in the atmosphere that causes the problem?

     
  • At 12:58 PM, October 30, 2006, Blogger Pretty Lady said…

    Congratulations, dear! So glad to have you back!

    Humming! How wonderful. How joyous. I wish I could be there to experience this--might you write a post on the nature and character of this baby's hum? It sounds most intriguingly mysterious.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home