A Little Ray of Sunshine

Monday, January 15, 2007

Update

So . . . we visited my folks over Christmas. Mom's minivan is still here from Thanksgiving. (If anyone wants to open a mechanic's shop, I know a town that could use a few more! The backlog on car repairs is rediculous.)
Hemi is potty trained, except for nights. Hummer can smile and grab stuff, and he has definate opinions about being held and so on.
We've found a church here, and yesterday morning we were all ready for church, loaded in the minivan, and it wouldn't start! Turns out our engine block heater isn't working. Now we have a problem, since that's how my husband's supposed to get to work., and the car won't start until afternoon. (The block heater was put in new in October.)
I don't know how cold it was last night, but at eight am it was -28 F. It's supposed to warm up through the week, so by Monday, when somebody can look at it, we might be able to get it into the shop.
And I just got to read almost a month's worth of blog posts over the last few days. This has something to do with my husband tinkering with the computer set-up again. The internet now routes through his computer: the one with the busted internal fans, thus requiring its sides off and a box fan running beside it for cooling. Somehow the temptation to surf the web just doesn't seem that great when faced with the annoyance of that box fan's racket.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:31 PM, January 15, 2007, Blogger Serena said…

    If you have a heat lamp, you can put it under the van aimed at the oil pan. You do need to block out the wind under the van. It can do wonders for getting a vehicle started. I know because I used to live in Nebraska. I hope that helps until you can get the heater working.

    Love and shalom,
    Serena

     
  • At 6:55 PM, January 25, 2007, Blogger Res Ipsa said…

    You're still around. I'll be close to your neck of the woods on Friday around supper time if all works out well.

     
  • At 8:54 AM, January 31, 2007, Blogger BoysMom said…

    Thanks Serena. Mom finally got her car, and managed to limp it within the 100 mile tow radius of AAA before smelling too much smoke to keep going. It's now back at her own mechanic.
    Which all goes to say that we now have our little old Buick back, and it has a working engine block heater. My husband can get to work, and the rest of us don't need to go anywhere. Plus it's warmed up, though I hear February may be colder. All the locals say it's unusually warm this winter.

    Res, we are all sick except for my husband. Just a cold, but a nasty one. (How he got lucky, I don't know, but he frequently does.) Trust me, you don't want to risk it. I hope your sister and her family are hanging in there all right. They're in my prayers, usually every night when Hummer goes to sleep.

     
  • At 9:41 PM, February 02, 2007, Blogger Arielle said…

    Wish I could see Hummer. Now that I've had a couple of my own, I find other people's little babies much more interesting. =)

    Does he still hum?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home