A Little Ray of Sunshine

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Teaching your Lefty to Write I

I've done a bit of looking, and there's just not much on the subject out there. Hemi, my 3.5 year old, is the lefty. So, fortunately, is Daddy. This leads to hasty phone calls to Daddy at work: 'Honey, am I doing this right?'

So. Teaching your Lefty to Write. Because there might just be some righty homeschooler out there with a lefty and without instant 'tech support'.

Most (all?) handwriting worksheets available online are designed for righties. You can use them, but ignore the directions. I like the www.donnayoung.org site for worksheets, but there are plenty of others.

The lefty holds his pencil in his left hand, but otherwise like a righty would. He will probably naturally curl his hand around over the line. This is not very important because of our quick-drying inks, but it used to be the way of preventing ink from smearing. If he's working in pencil, as most begining writers do, be prepared for smears on the page, his left arm, and his shirt sleeve. He holds his paper with his right hand. For lines: verticle and diagonal, the lefty starts at the bottom and goes to the top.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:37 PM, October 10, 2007, Blogger Maeve said…

    I don't know where I read it, because I didn't save the link, but I did see a site talking about writing as a lefty. To prevent hand curling and pencil or ink smudging, the tip offered was to rotate the paper so that the writing can be natural. (I know that I don't write with my paper straight up and down, usually I have my paper turned a bit).

    Just thought I'd mention it in case it helps.

     
  • At 12:39 PM, October 10, 2007, Blogger Maeve said…

    ack, meant to say I'm not a lefty and still turn my paper. I'd imagine lefties would turn their paper the opposite, but I guess some experimenting would tell for sure!

     
  • At 2:45 PM, October 10, 2007, Blogger BoysMom said…

    Hemi's three and a half: it's amazing his paper ever holds still long enough to write on! It's because he really, really wants to.

    We're experimenting with paper direction when he does hold it still to see what works best. My husband does not turn his paper.

    Thanks for coming by. You are the Maeve from Montana that posts at Casaubon's, right?

     
  • At 1:34 PM, October 11, 2007, Blogger Maeve said…

    Yep, that would be me. :) I love reading her blog. I don't always agree, but she always leaves me with something to think about.

     
  • At 8:22 PM, March 13, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    And it can be paraphrased?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home